The Exquisite Henry VII Chapel in Westminster Abbey
Updated: Jan 9
London's Henry VII Lady Chapel is simply stunning. It's a must see site in London, especially for history and architecture buffs. It's the last great masterpiece of English medieval architecture, the crowning glory of the world famous Westminster Abbey, and the mausoleum for much of England's royalty.
With all those accolades, the chapel was grandiosely nicknamed a "wonder of the world." The chapel is the work of England's first Tudor monarch, Henry VII, who vanquished the York king, Richard III in the Battle of Bosworth and seized control of England.
The chapel was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1503. It's known as the Henry VII Chapel, although technically its name is the Lady Chapel. The chapel's architect is unknown. But historians believe that Robert Janyns, Jr. is the design genius.
Henry VII & the History of the Lady Chapel
Built between 1503 and 1516, Henry VII broke the bank for his new chapel. It's essentially an homage to and keepsake of the Tudor dynasty.
The Henry VII Chapel might also have been a bit of Tudor propaganda at the time. It was intended to be a shrine to Henry's half-uncle, the Lancastrian king, Henry VI. Henry VI was insane, had been deposed by Edward IV, and was likely murdered by Edward IV in the Tower of London in 1471.
Henry didn't have a particularly good hereditary claim to the throne. But his mother, Margaret Beaufort, who was a prominent member of Richard III's court, convinced him he was divinely chosen, god's anointed king.
Henry raised an army in France and launched a war against Richard III. A victorious Henry had promised to marry Elizabeth of York, Edward IV's eldest daughter. He wasn't thrilled about the prospect. But the match was intended to bolster Yorkist support for Henry VII and unite the York and Lancaster houses.
King Henry VII was crowned on August 22, 1485.
To buttress his divine right to the crown, Henry VII sought to have Henry VI canonized. That plot failed. So the spectacular chapel he built for Henry VI was used for Henry VII's family instead.
The Exterior of the Henry VII Chapel
The Henry VII Chapel is at the far eastern end of Westminster Abbey. It's separated from the rest of the abbey by brass gates and a flight of stairs.
The chapel was built during the Renaissance period. But, at the time, Gothic architecture was still popular. The chapel was built in the Perpendicular Gothic style, which is more ornate than French Gothic and uses highly decorative tracery effects. The chapel contrasts with the plainer Gothic style of the rest of the abbey.
On the exterior, no line continues straight for more than a few feet. There's an unceasing pattern of advance and recession. Each of the flying buttresses is linked to a polygonal tower, capped with a cupola. Between the buttresses is a line of bay windows. The building almost appears to have glass walls.
The Interior of the Henry VII Chapel
The interior is a superlative harmonious whole. The walls are curved. Every niche is shaped into moldings, pedestal, or niches. According to Washington Irving, the walls
"are wrought with universal ornament, encrusted with tracery, and stopped into niches, crowded with statues of saints and martyrs. Stone seems, by the cunning weight of the chisel, to have been robbed of its weights and density, suspended aloft, as if by magic, and the fretted roof achieved with the wonderful minuteness and airy security of a cobweb."